Tuesday, June 14, 2011

It Sounds Like...


So I was working on some songs with some musicians and one of them sent me a note saying that the tag on this one song of mine reminded him of the Raconteurs. I’d heard of the Raconteurs but I’d never heard the Raconteurs, at least not while knowing it was them. So I picked up a Raconteurs CD and he’s right, it does sound a bit like that.

Come to find out, Jack White is in this band, the guy from the White Stripes, which I am pretty familiar with. Think heavy Robert Plant influenced singer, filtered through Detroit scene, swirled around in a little punk and avant garde and there you go.

I remember the first time I saw Jack White live was on this sort of “command performance” thing that Obama put on in honor of Paul McCartney. It was different artists playing Beatles and Wings songs, that kind of thing, then Paul came up at the end and played a few things.

Jack White was way out of place in this gathering. He’s extremely talented, but not in conventional ways, except for, maybe, his guitar playing, which is pretty amazing if you ask me. But he seemed shy and uncomfortable, and his scratchy off kilter rock voice was quickly followed up by some country singer who had pitch perfect pipes. It just wasn’t a good showcase.

But, so far, I like this Raconteurs stuff. Maybe better than White Stripes. I don’t know. I haven’t listened to it enough yet.

Jack White is actually from the Detroit area. And it’s weird how that gives musicians in this area a little hope. “If he can do it, maybe...” But this is Motown, baby. That alone makes me feel part of an important tradition as a musician. And if you’re born anywhere near it, you can claim it. Stevie Wonder was born in Saginaw, but he’s from Motown. Bob Seger was born in Dearborn, but he’s Motown too. Jackie Wilson, like Jack White, was actually born in Detroit. Now that’s Motown.

And now, back to our sponsor...




Peace to you.



© LW Publishing 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are subject to my approval. All profanity and disrespectful comments will be deleted. Be nice or I will pretend you are not there.