Thursday, February 4, 2010

Encounter 2

Time passes.

I was sitting outside of the library at Eastern Michigan University. A young woman came out of the library and sat across from me on the other side of the walk. She was well dressed. She looked all around her like she was looking for something she couldn’t find. Her hair was kind of a mess. She seemed agitated. After a few minutes, she walked across to where I was sitting.

Her: She’s not dead, you know.
Me: I’m sorry?
Her: She’s not dead. She can’t die. They can’t make her.
Me: Who’s that?
Her: Lucy.

It was just after comedienne Lucille Ball had died. It was national and international news.

Me: Oh. You mean Lucille Ball?
Her: Lucy. She can’t die.
Me: Well, they say she’s dead. It’s been on the news.

She laughed at that.

Her: She had all the pretty cats.
Me: Yeah?
Her: She had all the colors. All the cats. You can see them. Do you have cats?
Me: No, I don’t have any cats.
Her: Are you sure?
Me: Yes. I’m pretty sure. Cats are okay, I just don’t have one. Do you have cats?
Her: I have lots. All the colors. I love cats. I like my cats. Do you have cats?
Me: No. I sure don’t.

Awkward pause.

Her: She’s not dead, you know.
Me: Well, I guess we’ll see.
Her: Yeah.

Awkward pause.

Her: Gotta go to class now. Nice to meet you.
Me: Nice to meet you too.

After that I noticed her around campus. Hadn’t noticed her before. Someone said her parents paid to keep her in school because it was good for her. I tried to talk to her a little later, but she didn’t respond. Just walked away like I wasn’t there. Didn’t see her around after the semester ended. We never spoke again.



Peace to You.

© LW Publishing 2010

3 comments:

  1. To get me a cat is to risk its life. Just so's you know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do NOT buy a cat.


    Dave, I like the last two posts a lot. Reminds me of something

    ReplyDelete

All comments are subject to my approval. All profanity and disrespectful comments will be deleted. Be nice or I will pretend you are not there.